Temperature Logger Instructions for Mac Users

A read-only repository of popular topics and frequently asked questions - check here first!

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Temperature Logger Instructions for Mac Users

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Instructions for Mac Users - Mac OS X version 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4

Before installation make sure you know the version of OS X you are running and the processor type (PowerPC or Intel) - you can view this information by selecting "About This Mac" under the Apple Menu located in the upper left-hand corner of your desktop:

Do not connect the USB adapter from the kit until instructed to do so.

(1) Download and install libUSB 0.1.12 (choose one):

libUSB for OS X 10.4.x - 311KB

libUSB for OS X 10.3.x - 311KB

libUSB for OS X 10.2.x - 260KB

(2) Download the OneWireViewer application (choose one):

OneWireViewer for PowerPC Macs - 879KB

OneWireViewer for Intel Macs - 885KB

Open the resulting disc image and drag the OneWireViewer application to your "Applications" folder.

(3) Plug the probe cable into the blue USB adapter and the adapter into an open USB port on your Mac.

(4) Launch the OneWireViewer application.

If the application launches without errors you have successfully set up your system to interact with the temperature logger:

You'll notice that the Device List contains a single unselected device with the number "DS1990A" - this is actually the USB adapter itself, which contains a chip programmed with a unique 64-bit serial number.

If you receive an error message please tell us about it!

Using OneWireViewer

Now that you know everything is installed properly you can initialize a new mission for your logger to carry out. With the OneWireViewer application running touch the probe to the temperature logger (or press it on to maintain a hands-free connection) and you will see something like this when you select the new device (with the "DS1921G-F5" designation) in the Device List:

Now click on the "Thermochron" tab and you will see:

Your logger may or may not have an active mission running ("Is Mission Active?" set to true or false). Click the "Start New Mission" button and you will see:

Duplicate these mission parameters and click "OK" to enable the mission.

That's it for now! Disconnect the probe and install the logger on the north side of a post or other structure within your monarch habitat at a height of .5 meters (about 20 inches) with the metal logger facing the ground. Allow the logger to collect data for several days and keep checking back here for further details.

Last edited by Jim on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim
Monarch Watch Research Assistant

Feedback Please

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:21 pm

I will test the software/hardware installation on as many systems as I can but I would appreciate any feedback from all of you as well. Please post your experience with these installation instructions - were you able to get things running without issue? Are the instructions clear? Do you have any suggestions for improvement? When reporting problems or other feedback, please include as much information about your system as you can, for example:

PowerMac G4/1.5GHz
OS X 10.4.7
2GB RAM

Also, if you receive an error message, please make note of the exact wording.

Thanks!
Jim

Success!

Postby Sandwhy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi Jim!

Excellent directions. Only trouble I had was following them. #-o Once I actually plugged the device into my computer, all went exactly as planned. I changed the mission parameters and will install the thermochron in my garden tomorrow!

Sandy
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

problem

Postby troot » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:24 pm

I can't get the OneWire Viewer to disconnect. I've tried clicking the X, and going to File and chosing Close. It won't shut down. Any ideas what is happening?
troot

Re: problem

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 pm

troot wrote:I can't get the OneWire Viewer to disconnect. I've tried clicking the X, and going to File and chosing Close. It won't shut down. Any ideas what is happening?

Please provide system details as requested above. Does this happen each time OneWireViewer is launched? Is the application functioning normally optherwise? Are you able to Force Quit the application? What happens if you quit all open applications, restart the Mac, and launch only the OneWireViewer?
Jim

Installation of programs

Postby Tom Clark » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Installed the programs on both the PC I have at school and the Mac I have at home. Everything downloaded/installed perfectly. 76 hrs have elapsed since I reset the mission at school on Thurs. A bit of a time lag to get a 2X3" stake sharpened to drive into our butterfly garden to serve as the post for the Thermachron, but anticipate getting it in Monday, Sept 11. I have a Roots and Shoots class of 6-8th graders that is helping with this project.

The home Mac:
OS X 10.4.6
1.25 GHz PPC G4 mac mini
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Programs are installed on a a mini Stack hard drive.

I'll have to find out what kind of PC set up I have at school.

Tom
Tom Clark

Hmm...

Postby Sandwhy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi Jim,

I was "playing" with the thermachron today and realized I needed to download different software for my new (Intel) iMac. I did so and the program got up and running but...

When I connect the thermachron, I can see it on the Device List on the left, then... it disappears after a few moments. :shock:

If I am quick then I can get in to the menus, but then it all freezes for a few moments and continues as above (the thermochron device number disappears).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sandy
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

Re: Hmm...

Postby Jim » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:53 pm

Sandwhy wrote:When I connect the thermachron, I can see it on the Device List on the left, then... it disappears after a few moments.

Well that's weird :)

So you downloaded and installed "libUSB for OS X 10.4.x" and "OneWireViewer for Intel Macs" as instructed above?

Which USB port do you have the adapter plugged into (keyboard, back of iMac, a hub)?

Are you running OS X v10.4.8 (the latest version)? If not, go ahead and run Software Update to install it and then repair permissions via Disk Utility. If your iMac is all updated go ahead and repair permissions anyway. Plug the probe in, restart the iMac, and let me know if the OneWireViewer still exhibits this weirdness.
Jim

Postby Sandwhy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:55 am

Hi Jim,

I had the adapter plugged into the keyboard - I tried the back of the iMac with similar results. SO, I trashed everything and re-installed the two items, repaired permissions and restarted the computer.

With the adapter plugged into the BACK it now works perfectly fine; however, the devices still disappear from the OnewireViewer device list when I plug the adapter into the keyboard... why should that make a difference?

Ah well. Most of the weirdness is fixed so thank you! :D

Sandy
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Keyboard USB ports are underpowered by nature and can cause problems with some USB devices...glad things are working properly now - I'll be sure to make note of this in the instructions.
Jim

One Wire keeps quitting

Postby KarylMcLean » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi Jim,

I am ready to start working with the new logger, but the One Wire Viewer software does not want to start up. I have an iMac running System 10.2.8, and have tried using the keyboard USB, the extension USB and the USB in the back of the computer, with the same results. This program worked last Fall on this Mac! I trashed and re-installed the software twice - no go. Anyone else have this problem?

Karyl McLean
KarylMcLean

Return to Popular Topics